Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Mama Gin Files Chapter 9: The Dryer is Going to Explode!




Mama Gin is terrified of fire. But not only is she terrified of fire; she is also terrified of anything that she thinks might somehow light on fire. This puts all electrical appliances at risk around her. Before we installed a lock on our door to prevent her from entering to feed our cat in our absence, we used to come home regularly to find all of our appliances unplugged - including the refrigerator. "Leave plugged in, no good. Light on fire."

Last night there was some ruckus in the neighborhood involving four fire trucks on our block. They stayed for about an hour, and we never figured out exactly what happened. Unfortunately, once Mama Gin caught sight of those fire trucks, they set off an almost unbearable OCD episode.

George had been doing laundry in her apartment, because that is where our washer & dryer are located. He ordinarily has a tough enough time with that alone, since Mama Gin is convinced that using the dryer will cause our furnace to explode.

Apparently, the combined thoughts of the furnace exploding and the dryer itself lighting on fire was too much for Mama Gin, so she got out some kitchen twine and commenced a macrame project that would have put a 1970s Girl Scout troop to shame. In a stunning artistic work of mixed media, she unplugged the washer & dryer and tied up the electrical cords in a mess of knots.

George was not amused.

Enjoy the below photo series depicting George's discovery of her handiwork, his attempt to unravel the mess, and Mama Gin's pleading for him to stop.









8 comments:

Hubby of the CP, adopted child of the MG said...

Dear kind readers:

Once again, may I remind you that I am clearly the victim of a baby mix up at the hospital. I am actually the child and soul heir to Anastasia Beaverhausen.

Old Lady said...

Screamingly funny, because every female in my family is this way. They cannot leave the house with anything plugged in for fear of fire!!!

jin said...

I am laughing so hard right now I've got tears streaming down my face!

Again, I LOVE that you documented this incident with photos.

Without them I may have even wondered if you were exaggerating.

Fact IS stranger than fiction, after all!!!

Coaster Punchman said...

I swear to you, not one word in these posts about Mama Gin is an exaggeration.

CP

Tenacious S said...

Scott and I laughed our butts off this morning reading this over coffee. It is especially funny because I could also chronical the OCD exploits of my mother-in-law. I am choosing for now to save the family dignity. Let's just say I have my children's mental health checked frequently by professionals. The gene pool the poor things got dipped in is tainted.

Coaster Punchman said...

If George and I were able to mix our gene pools, we would have to bend down on our collective knees and pray for humanity. Trust me on this one.

wonderturtle said...

The exposition + the pictures = priceless

Poor George said...

Save me!!! Not only am I being held hostage in a fortune cookie factory, I am forced into a reality series against my will... Anastasia, where are you?!!! PLEASE COME SAVE ME!!!!