Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Mama Gin Files: CP has a Gurlfriend, Betty

This is our cat, Betty. She was never my girlfriend.

Faithful readers of The Mama Gin Files already know about Mama Gin’s obsession with George finding a girlfriend and getting married.

Occasionally, her obsession comes to visit me as well, and she harangues me about not being married. The only reason she cares about this is that my finding a girlfriend and getting married would get me out of the way, enabling her to marry George off. But I allow myself to feel cared about, anyway.

One day when I was home alone, Mama Gin came down for a visit.

“Tom, I want talk to you. You should get marry.”

“Well, thank you for your concern, but I don't want to get married. I’m happy living here with George.”

“But you have gurlfriend! You marry her.”

“Excuse me, but I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“Yes, you have gurlfriend. I see. You write to her.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“You write her postcard. I see it. It say ‘Betty.’ B-E-T-T-Y. Betty.”

George and I like to send postcards when we travel. During our trip to Europe in 2003, we sent one to our cat, Betty, because we thought it would be funny. Apparently, Mama Gin didn’t share in our sense of humor.

“Betty is our cat, Mama Gin. ”

“Wha?”

“A cat. Betty is a cat. She's not my girlfriend, she's a cat. We sent her the card as a joke.”

“Wha? No gurlfriend? Nooooo! Why you send card to cat?”

“We were just playing around. We thought it would be funny.”

“Cat can’t read card!”

“I told you, it was just a joke.”

“No, no good, no good. You get marry.”
She continued to shake her head slowly as she trudged back up the stairs.


We still miss Betty for many reasons, one of them being her ability to torment Mama Gin in so many ways.

10 comments:

Katy said...

Mama Gin seems to make for some interesting entries. I followed the Betty link and was crying when I got to the end where you wrote that she passed away that day. She seemed like an awesome kitty. I can't imagine loosing either one of mine. They are both so unique. Cleo is the type of cat that just needs to be cuddled were Misty is little Miss independent.

Beth said...

Maybe you need to adopt a Veronica and keep Mama Gin confused.

I, too, read the Betty entry, and I'm now crying at my desk. Sadly, we've all been through that. Grande dame cats are the best, aren't they?

jin said...

I'm dying to see a youtube of her next visit!

(I remember reading the Betty story back when I first blogstalked you. She was so BEAUTIFUL! Very unique!)

Coaster Punchman said...

Awww, sorry, didn't mean to lure anyone over to CPW to make them cry! Yes, it's hard to let go of our pets, but I'm glad when we're at least able to give them full, happy lives. Betty lived until 14 which for a cat is not bad at all.

Dale said...

I for one am glad Betty helped you stick it to Mama Gin. She was a purty little thing.

Coaster Punchman said...

Yes, and Mama Gin hated her. Betty used to sneak up into her apartment and totally freak her out. I would say "hey, where did Betty go?" and a few minutes later hear cries from upstairs "Mao!!!!" (Cantonese word for cat.) Then she'd come down shouting "Cat come in!!! Cat come in!!!"

poor george said...

The Mama Gin files are legendary indeed. If I had a shrink, s/he would never believe me and would probably have me committed for being so demented for making these stories up. I tried to sell the screenplay, but even Hollywood wasn't interested. One of the titles of my screenplay: "Poor George, he no get married, he get Mary'd"

Gentle readers, did I ever tell you about the time she murdered my chicken?

Dale said...

I want to hear all about this George. And I won't even charge you. I will soon post about my crazy mother and it will become legend I'm sure as it already is in my family.

...get Mary'd? very funny.

jin said...

I want to hear about the chicken, too.

Maybe cp will let you do 'Guest Posts'? (If not, just bribe him with chocolate raisins & ice cream...I hear that works wonders! ;-)

Katy said...

what chicken I want to hear that story too.