Friday, November 14, 2008

Waaaah!!! Why won't you let me talk????

This is a Prop H8 supporter crying.
Also, remember to protest Prop H8 this Saturday!!!

Right-wing groups and their supporters love to shriek that members of progressive movements are always interfering with their "right to free speech."


Not only are the Mormons crying because of the public backlash against them after their multi-million dollar campaign of hatred against the gay community, but now companies and people that are being blacklisted and boycotted due to their publicly documented financial support of Proposition 8 are saying things like "why should I be boycotted for exercising my right to free expression?"


The lawyer in me is always irked by this. Although frankly, it isn't even the lawyer in me that is irked; it's the semi-intelligent being in me that is irked.


Our right to free speech in the U.S. doesn't have anything to do with being civil to each other, folks. It doesn't have anything to do with being nice. The notion of free speech has to do with being able to say what you believe without the GOVERNMENT standing in your way, with occasional exceptions, mostly related to public safety.


So let's get this straight, Mormons and everyone else who doesn't understand this. It's LEGAL for you to say "gays should burn in hell. Or at least they shouldn't get Social Security and health care."


And it's LEGAL for us to reply "any Mormon who supported Prop 8, or anyone else who supported Prop 8, should be boycotted." Not only is it legal, it is fair.


Why is it OK for you to strip me of my civil rights, while it is antithetical to the "democratic process" for me to call for a boycott against you because of your beliefs? (Short answer: the democratic process works both ways, asswipes. If you attack me, you'd better expect to be attacked in return.)



If I read one more statment from the LDS church calling for us to be "civil" to them after this nasty stunt they pulled, I might actually go postal.


Love,

CP

16 comments:

Joe said...

It's been a fairly common right wing tactic over these past 8 years to engage in the sleaziest, most insulting behavior and then act indignant when the object of that sleazy and insulting behavior gets angry. This is a perfect example of that.

Anonymous said...

How is it fair for Gays to burn in Hell and the Mormons only get boycotted? That's an odd example you use there.

I'm not really supposed to discuss politics with the library patrons, although I do anyway. And our library computers are filtered. And when Mormon missionaries come in to e-mail home on our computers, I have to be nice to them and not remotely end their Internet session before their time is up. So my civil rights are somewhat curtailed on the job, except for when I'm posting comments on your blog!

We need to stop worrying about the response we get, or any "backlash" from the right-wing hatemongerers, and fight back with no regard for the consequences we may suffer. There is no need for us to be civil when they aren't. Obviously, they can dish it out but they can't take it!

Love,
Your Cousin Cathy

deadspot said...

So if I understand them correctly, they also want to choose where you spend your money?

Those wacky Mormons...

Doc said...

Everything is fine and dandy until you threaten their pocketbook? Well, perhaps they should have thought of that before they put up money to strip the rights from honest citizens.

CP, I would like to attend one of the rallies here in Ohio, but they are only being held in Cleveland, Columbus, & Cincinnati, all of which are hours away from where I am. Is there something else I could do to show my support?

Doc

Melinda June said...

You probably know about this, but here is a link to key donors to the Yes on 8 Hate Campaign.

http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/dishonorRoll.html

Coaster Punchman said...

Thanks Doc, you can read this post at Katie Schwartz's blog to see a few other things you can do to help.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Ten days later and I'm still in shock.. how did this happen in California, of all places?! Maybe this was your destiny CP, to move to CA and get married to PG just in time to take up this cause.

Elizabeth McQuern said...

I mentioned you and linked to you on a post I put up on Chicago Metblog today.

Coaster Punchman said...

You are all awesome. Elizabeth, it's wonderful what you wrote on that blog.

Gifted Typist said...

They should call it Prop Hate.

Gifted Typist said...

Oh, I see they/you already have...
I'm a slow wit.

Cormac Brown said...

As long as gays can't be married, there should be no polygamy in Utah. Fair is fair.

Seriously, I'm hoping that the Ninth Circuit shoots this crap down once and for all, because these hypocritical, uncompasionate bastards will just come up with another proposition in two years if this one gets shot down.

Chris said...

Nicely stated. So many people and organizations don't get it, that the right to free speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of what you say.

Elizabeth McQuern said...

I also made this four minute video of Chicago's Prop 8 protest yesterday.

Sorry to turn the comments section of your blog into a promotional vehicle for myself. :)

Eebie said...

Democracy is built on conflict (or if you're under 18, then it's called checks and balances). Let it out, give 'em some conflict.

This whole "civil" thing is a ridiculous disregard for the people they are truly affecting. It's bizarre like insulting someone's mother and saying "don't be offended". You insult someone's mother it's offensive, no words get you out of it. Marriages among Mormons is not effected by it passing or not passing, so it is simply utter disregard for those affected by the outcome.

And don't think for a moment they're not playing the gentile PR game and the lovely game of "we care but.." etc. which in other circles is called "grin fucking".

Democracy was built on conflict, give them some conflict!

lulu said...

I love the term "grin fucking" Jane uses it all the time. (the term, I mean, I don't think she's a big grin fucker, although given her job, she might be)