Monday, October 23, 2017

Day 6 of No Facebook

Yesterday was Day 5 of No Facebook and I had things to tell you, but never got around to it. The day started with my reading a very disturbing article on social media, the article indicting the various platforms for ruining our collective ability to concentrate and work. Painful as it is to admit, I have to agree. My decreasing ability to concentrate without the almost constant need for a brain fix - the instant gratification of entertainment - was the worrisome element that, in my view, required me to logoff for 12 days.  I'm hoping for a brain reset, but sadly, I think it might take more than a Facebook break to fix what is wrong with me.  As my friend Forrest's pal said to him in a dramatic moment so many years ago, "you're just going to have to feel your feelings."

In less troubling news, I got a ticket to see CAKE in December. I am extremely excited. I love these guys, and have never seen them live. I switched my Spotify account from "free" to "I'll give you my money" so that I could listen to all their albums, back to back, in album order (not "shuffle.")  I've never understood why someone would want to "shuffle" an album.  An entire music collection or genre, yes. But if you're going to listen to an album, the best thing to do is hear the tracks in the order the artist arranged them.

So many good songs from these guys - or, I should say, interesting songs that I enjoy and that speak to me .

I got up early to go to the doctor today, and now he's called in sick.  Balls. Guess I'll go to breakfast instead, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Thank you for reading my diary. 

1 comment:

Dale said...

Cake! I’ve not seen them either and I bet it will be fun. I shuffle everything unless I am going for the full album feel. Kids in France drink wine. My attention span is shot!