Friday, October 20, 2017

No Facebook - Day 3

Nothing extraordinary to report today, except that I do miss checking in with friends.  And Mindy June still hasn't called me, though she did invite me to answer questions on a meme involving naming random objects starting with the first letter of your middle name.  So I guess that's the level of excitement she's experiencing.

I started doing Weight Watchers over a month ago because my doctor has been on me for years to reduce.  Normally I kind of poo-poo him on that because, while I know it's healthier to weigh less, I enjoy being a larger guy, and I especially enjoy(ed) eating and drinking any damn thing I want with nary a thought.

However, a few health related items have come up over the past few years which reducing my weight would help.  Refluxing at night, for one. Hip joints that are showing signs of strain.  Noticing myself getting winded on hikes with friends over the summer. And a few other issues that being overweight doesn't help.

But, unsurprisingly, the thing that made me decide to take some definitive action this time is that I was starting to move up yet another clothing size.  I just don't have the time or interest in acquiring a new wardrobe right now.

Normally when I need to reduce, I just cut out alcohol and sugar for a while, and that puts me down 10 lbs in a matter of weeks.  But this time I wanted to do something more sustainable, because invariably I go back to my old boozy ways as soon as I make progress.

I hate eating plans where you cut out entire food groups - those usually make me furious.  I have had several friends tell me they like Weight Watchers because it has the most balanced eating plan of all the popular diets.  I have one friend in particular who struggled with obesity for over a decade, and after he joined WW it changed his life.  It's been at least five years that he's dropped the excess pounds and he seems happy maintaining it.

So I signed up about six weeks ago - and I love it.

I love the already noticeable health benefits.  I haven't refluxed once since I started the program.  My joints feel better, I'm sleeping better, and the best part:  I don't feel limited or deprived in the slightest.

WW makes it really easy to track what you eat and drink using an online app on your phone.  Everything is assigned a point value, and you are allotted a daily point limit with extra points you can use throughout the week.  (You can also set it up so that if you exercise strenuously you can trade some of that in for more food points.)  It doesn't take long to figure out which foods/drinks cost you a fortune in points - so it helps you make good decisions about what food and drink is worth your while.  Cheese costs you a lot, as does sugar.  So, you can still have cheese and sugar - WW just helps you be mindful of the amounts you consume and helps you not go overboard.  If I want to have a slice of brie, that is great.  I just might want to consider skipping a second glass of wine or a piece of cake.  I don't need to have every single treat with every single meal - I can do that for myself.  And it's working great - for me.

I realize everyone doesn't like this kind of eating management.  One friend who did WW a number of years ago said she got so obsessed with counting points that she found herself thinking about food excessively.  Makes sense to me, though I haven't run into that challenge.  I find that if I eat a meal or snack and I enjoy it and feel full and satisfied, that is all that matters.  And I can do that on this plan.  Fruit is entirely free of points, so I can eat as much fruit as I like.  (Another added benefit - my digestion is downright *splendid* with the increased fruit consumption.  Fruit is my primary snack food now.)

We'll see how far this can take me, and whether I succeed in getting to the weight that would make my doctor happy - and whether I'm able to maintain it.  But for now, strangely, I'm actually enjoying eating - and subsequently needing - less.  Two nights ago I treated myself to a pint of lager and I could barely finish it - I was just full and it no longer seemed appealing.  Last night I had the world's largest sweet cocktail (while out with my parents) and by the time I finished it I was practically three sheets to the wind.  Cheap date?  Sign me up!

3 comments:

Cup said...

I did WW several years ago and loved it. Keeping a food diary taught me how my body responds to certain foods and meals. Good luck, CP!

Anonymous said...

Readers please note that the stress that WW causes on the spouse can be devastating. Every little movement in the kitchen or near the refrigerator is regulated and every morsel produced is judged and numbered. Somebody, please save me!...

PG

Dale said...

I think I’m about ready to try the WW plan as I’m at risk of tricking myself into all snacking all the time.