Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Favorite spot


Alma is in Red Hook, a very out of the way, hidden neighborhood in Brooklyn. Our favorite place in New York. Alma's unusual location along the rough looking Brooklyn waterfront conjures up images of being taken for a ride by Uncle Vinnie after midnight. More than one out of town guest has said "where the HELL are you taking me?" in a nervous, laughing tone. The restaurant's marketing people like to describe the location as being in the slightly more upscale Cobble Hill district, but the locals can't be fooled. At least not this local.

Each day Alma features a special "Tamale of the Day" which is always recommended. For dinner, although I have ventured into areas such as their delightful Poblano Relleno, I usually stick to my favorite standby, the chicken and cheese enchiladas in a pumpkin seed sauce.

Their brunch is outstanding, and features a wonderful Mexican egg hotdish (for lack of a better term) called Chilaquiles con Huevos. I recall with great fondness enjoying a brunchtime margarita at Alma, having forgotten that I had popped a few prescription painkillers an hour before. Halfway through the drink my entire body went numb and I had trouble walking to the men's room, but I was so relaxed it didn't matter.

If you're in New York for more than a few days, it's worth the trek to this sketchy looking neighborhood for some great Mexican food that even a Californian would not complain (much) about. Plenty of hipsters have already discovered Alma; why shouldn't you?

16 comments:

lulu said...

I need to plan a trip out there soon. Maybe once school is over.

Tenacious S said...

Tamale of the day? I love tamales and it is damned difficult to get a really good tamale. I am ever so jealous.

Dino said...

lovely picture but it does not inspire confidence in the menu - to skinny

Dale said...

Now I'm hungry although I don't think I can make it by lunch time. The menu looks great and I notice the reviews do call it Cobble Hill as well. Cobble cobble.

Writeprocrastinator said...

Damn, that sounds divine! Even though "Brooklyn Noir 2" has me kind of skittish about Red Hook, I think I'd like to try it.

Coaster Punchman said...

We're waiting for you, Lu.

Ten-S, as a fellow former Californian, I feel your pain. Believe me, I feel it bad.

Ha Dino! It was a few years before I knew what those things were too (Day of the Dead dolls.) Creepy but cute.

Yeah Dale, I looked it up and the dividing line for Cobble Hill is clearly the Gowanus Highway, which Alma is on the "wrong" side of. Not that this should mean anything to you. But still.

Don't get me wrong Write, Red Hook is cool. The thing about New York is that many OK neighborhoods still look like you might be mugged any minute. Red Hook especially so.

Some Guy said...

Sounds like my kind of place! I eat a tamale once a week. Seriously.

Coaster Punchman said...

Wow Chris, how do you find a decent tamale in Michigan? Or I guess it doesn't have to be decent to be enjoyed, just like pizza or sex.

Johnny Yen said...

Okay, now I'm hungry. That all sounded great.

Whenever I hear mention of Red Hook, I think of Bob Dylan's song about mobster Joey Gallo. The first line is:

"Born in Red Hook, Brooklyn/In the year of who-knows-when..."

Coaster Punchman said...

I don't know that one Johnny - I'll take a listen.

Johnny Yen said...

It's actually a pretty ridiculous song-- it romanticizes a mobster. But I still like it. It's on the Desire album.

Moderator said...

Do they serve cervesa?

If I eat too much and get sleepy, can I crash at your place instead making the eight-hour trek back to Illinois?

Anonymous said...

I can make it by lunch time! I'm only a train ride away from New Haven!!

I love mexican food!!!!! Oh wait, I'm on a diet, do they have wheat tamales??

Coaster Punchman said...

We seem to enjoy romanticizing mobsters in our culture, Johnny.

Oh, they serve cervesa and a whole lot more. Always welcome chez CP & PG, Senor Miller.

New Haven! I didn't realize you were so close, Bluez. You of course must read the tale of my quest for New Haven pizza at Pepe's - see my March 2006 archives.

lulu said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Pepe's pizza.

Old Lady said...

Yummy!